Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Brandon Inge puts on hitting display during Home Run Derby

During last night’s Home Run Derby, Brandon Inge showed why he was named to the American League All-Star team when he went 7-7 with 2 sac flies and a swinging sac bunt. Inge showed more than any other contestant the fundamental brand of baseball that Detroit fans have come to love. While more selfish contestants were hitting 480 foot bombs, they were also fouling a lot of good pitches into the stands and generally not taking full advantage of poor pitch placement. Inge remarked, “It’s the way I was taught to play. If I have a runner on second and I get a high, hanging outside pitch, I ain’t going to try and pull it to the left field bleachers and risk popping out. Slap that baby into right field to score the run. Hell, even if I get the ball down in the dirt, the runner is probably advancing to third. I’ve done my job.”

When asked to comment, Derby winner Prince Fielder simply replied, “Who is Brandon Inge?”


-PSon

No comments: