Thursday, November 12, 2009

VoML Postfilm Report: Fighting (2009)


TOP BILLED ACTORS
Channing Tatum, Terrence Howard, Zulay Henao, Luis Guzman, Brian J. White, Roger Guenveur Smith, Anthony DeSando, Peter Anthony Tambakis, Michael Rivera, Altagracia Guzman

DIRECTOR
Dito Montiel

3 POSITIVES
  • The title is brilliant because let’s be honest, nothing says “this movie is about fighting” like Fighting. Think about it, how happy would you have been if the new GI Joe movie would have been called, GI Joe: Give us your money because we’re going to blow shit up, and we hired these name actors to mail it in.
  • I’ll have to admit, I have a soft spot for Channing Tatum. There’s just something about those expressionless eyes. I loved him in A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints but after GI Joe I was a little down on him. Could he be that awful? No, he can’t be THAT awful. Take him for what he’s worth, he’s a charismatic and charming guy when he wants to be. I found him to be very likeable in this film and didn’t really get the sense that he wanted to be somewhere else like I did when watching the previously named film.
  • The fighting scenes were actually pretty well done. Although frenetic and a bit dizzying at times, they looked like real fights. In real fights, guys don’t throw telegraphed round-houses and haymakers, sometimes guys get knocked out by water fountains.
3 NEGATIVES
  • I spent the times in between fight scenes waiting for the next fight scene. The film needed a story line so they threw one together straight off the action movie checklist. Southern boy trying to make it in the big city, check. Cryptic allusions to a troubled past, check. A love interest, complete with awkward, hastily thrown together courtship scenes, check.
  • The most glaring plot point weakness comes right at the beginning. Tatum’s character Shawn basically takes flea market level goods (Harry Potter vs the Hippopotamus) and peddles them to passersby on the street. Harvey's (Terrence Howard) band of merry thieves are set up in the same area and one of his shifty-eyed minions mills around Shawn’s goods. Well one thing leads to another and Shawn ends up in a fight with said minion. He gets tossed around a little, throws a few haymakers, and knocks the guy down. At that point he flees the scene. Somehow, that display leads Harvey to believe that Shawn can fight and he should be featured in underground bouts against the dregs of New York society. In some weird serendipitous moment, he runs into Harvey later the same night, Harvey asks him if he likes to fight and he agrees to fight for money. Well I don’t think I’m ruining the movie by saying that he wins a few fights. His fights are won in the weirdest ways possible; think of him as a mix between Rocky, Louden Swain from Vision Quest, and Tom Cruise’s character in Far and Away. He gets punched in the face a lot, falls on the ground a lot, but he’s got grit and he just wants it more than the other guy. What I’m getting at is, after watching his first frenzied brawl, Harvey was an idiot to think that he could beat good fighters. After watching his subsequent fights, he’s even a bigger idiot for thinking he could beat better fighters. I guess this all stems from my problems with the Rocky series. Yes, I love Rocky. But Rocky is one of the worst fighters I’ve ever seen. Shawn wasn’t quite as overmatched, but if I was a “two-bit hustler” just scraping by, I wouldn’t put my savings up, for or against a fighter like him.
  • The ending was predictable at first, then way too unbelievable. You’ll know what I’m talking about if you see it. It was like the director said, let’s take everything we know about the characters and completely throw it out the window because this film needs the happiest ending possible.

BEST PERFORMANCE
Channing Tatum’s pecks, abs, and squared jaw. Without all of those, this film and his career would not be possible.

MOST UNDERRATED PERFORMANCE
I actually kind of liked Terrence Howard's character in this film. He has the hustler thing down.

HEY, IT'S THAT GUY...
Anthony DeSando who played Frank the dog walker from A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints. Brian J. White, Sylvester from Stomp the Yard. Altagracia Guzman, grandma from Raising Victor Vargas.

REMINDED ME OF...

Never Back Down, Rocky

SEE THIS INSTEAD...
Dito Montiel's first film, A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, is a must see. Also look for David Mamet's Redbelt.

WOULD I PURCHASE IT? No

WOULD I WATCH IT IF I CAME ACROSS IT ON CABLE? Maybe

I WILL GIVE…
-PSon

No comments: