Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Talking Points Not Repeated 50 Times/Hr on ESPN Radio

I drove to Omaha, NE this weekend to retrieve my dog who'd escaped from her crate 8 months ago and ended up in Madison, Wi. She agreed to split the distance with me, and meet up in Omaha, about an 8 hour drive from Boulder. When I got in the car, I moved immediately for my recently charged ipod.

"No Battery Power Remains"

What the fuck are you talking about? No battery power? Apparently I didn't plug it in all the way last night. This meant I'd be stuck with choppy AM/FM radio and one of the worst CD collections ever assembled (I'm sparing you the exaggeration) lent to me by an ex-girlfriend. I rolled my window down multiple times with plans to throw a terrible mix-cd out the window, only to think better of it when it came to go-time. The radio it is.

It didn't take long for me to realize that ESPN radio was my only chance at making it through the trip alive, as it was the only reliable station muscling through the country, god-rock and static. When you listen to one radio station for 8 consecutive hours for 2 consecutive days, you learn that ESPN actually counts on you to not do that. This was a great weekend in football news with all the exciting free agent moves. What did they talk about last weekend? I was probably pretty lucky by comparison.

I digress. Sparing you the repetition of what you undoubtedly already know, here are a few points I wish Eric Kuselias would've made in lieu of telling me for the 20th time that Jay Cutler is upset.

-The Patriots franchise tagged Matt Cassel (meaning he will earn $14 million plus in 2009) before moving him to the 2-14 KC Chiefs. Another great example of doing the little things right by the Patriots. They maximize the amount of cap space freed up, which you can bet will enable them to make a signing they would have otherwise been unable to. They got an early 2nd round pick, and kept Cutler away from a potential contender (Tampa Bay) and Cassel away from his old coach and familiar system (Denver).

-"If you love something, let it go." Will Mike Vrabel be this deal's Antonio McDyess? Traded as a throw in, only to be cut and resigned by his original team? (see Allen Iverson for Chauncey Billups deal) There's probably something going on here that I don't understand. Do this deals not go down without the throw ins? Are they cap moves?

-Great point I only learned yesterday (thanks Mike Lombardi (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/)): The Albert Haynesworth deal is actually only a 4 year, 48 million dollar deal. Years five, six and seven are something absurd like a $20+ million club option. So yeah, if Dan Snyder wants to pay him $20+ mill, a season, sure, it'll be a $100 million deal. But he won't. He'll be a free agent in year five.

-Brian Dawkins is old. Why does he even bother signing a 5 year deal? It means nothing. You tell me how much is guaranteed, I'll tell you how much he's getting paid. I still like the acquisition by the Bruncos.

The biggest decision I'm still waiting on is who the eff is going to play QB for the NY Jets and Rex Ryan. Could Kellen Clemens really be the next Kyle Boller?

No comments: