Saturday, September 6, 2008

Fantasy Football Nation

Check out this video of Chris Cooley's Redskins Fantasy Draft which I saw on Deadspin but was also forwarded to me by my boy Popes:



This is an example of when a fantasy draft goes well. Everyone is having a good time, staying loose, not taking things too seriously. Much like my Bravo Fantasy League draft (gotta give a shout out to my boys on the camping trip... Wood Up, Stay High). Problem is, nobody is really taking the league seriously. Notice how former Colorado exhibitionist and Hawaii hero Colt Brennan provides a crowd pleasing first round pick of Ohio State hater, LenDale White.

When drafts go poorly, you're in for 4 hours of retread jokes. It's like everybody is reading the same Fantasy Football For Dummies book, complete with "joke" templates so you can fill in as needed. Here are some examples:

1. "Hey, If you need another RB, I heard (insert retired football player) is still available." Hahahahahahaha

2. "Hey guys, I heard (insert lambasted QB) is looking good in (insert team)'s camp." Hahahahahahaha.

3. When the draft reaches the later rounds, "Hey, is (insert obvious top 5 pick) still available?" Hahahahahaha

4. The obligatory "HOMER" call when a guy drafts somebody from their favorite team, even if it's the right spot in the draft or the guy has dropped a few rounds further than he should have. Hahahahahahahaha.

5. The standard name mispronunciations or lame "this name sounds like" jokes such as, "I'll take SanAntonio Holmes", or "I'll take T.J. Whosh-your-mama." Hahahahahaha, wow... good stuff.

6. "Hey, I don't see (insert name of player just taken) on my list. Oh yeah there he is, way down at the bottom." Hahahahahaha.

7. Joey Harrington jokes.

8. Ricky Williams drug references.

9. Using the word sleeper.

Here are things that are funny:

1. Guys with draft sheets and magazines that are 3 months old.

2. Guys who get too drunk.

3. Guys who draft players that are on IR.

4. Brett Favre in the first round.

5. Guys who draft the Bears' Adrian Peterson in a live Yahoo draft instead of the Vikings' Adrian Peterson. This is not to be confused with guy who makes joke about whether you drafted the Bears' Peterson or the Vikings' Peterson. That guy is a tool.

6. Guys who draft kickers in the 5th Round.

7. Guys who draft a top 5 quarterback and say, "I know I'm reaching but this guy is my sleeper, I'll take Ben Roethlisberger."

8. "I'll take (insert name of Bears QB)." If this were a Beirut draft, I'd be all about it but we're going for guys who throw TDs, not ping pong balls and INTs.

-PSon (trying not to look past the fantasy baseball playoffs)

3 comments:

Eddie Swagger said...

I am def guy who gets too drunk...but you left out the fact that i was alone in my underwear in front of my computer

Rmfarr said...

doesn't hurt a fantasy draft when random hot chicks show up and share a team. who are those girls? santana's sluts?

Unknown said...

Not sure who blondie was but they said mercedes is going out with Jason Campbell.
I love Chris Cooley
some good lines I remember
-"You shoot somebody and you're on smoot's team".
-"I dont even need a back up, I have Tom Brady."
-boo's coming for the 1st round mario barber pick
-"that pick is gay"