Thursday, September 18, 2008

Great Athletes of the Silver Screen: Willie "Mays" Hayes

"Willie Mays Hayes. I hit like Mays, and I run like Hayes." - Willie "Mays" Hayes

"Well, You run like Mays, but you hit like shit. With your speed, you're supposed to lay one down and beat it out. Every time I see you pop one up, you owe me 20 push-ups." - Lou Brown

"No problem. [pops a ball up] Shit. [does push-ups]." -Willie "Mays" Hayes

ATHLETE: WILLIE "MAYS" HAYES

ACTOR: WESLEY SNIPES/OMAR EPPS

MOVIE: MAJOR LEAGUE (1989) / MAJOR LEAGUE II (1994)

DOMINANT SPORT: BASEBALL, NARCISSISM, RUNNING BAREFOOT

LOVE INTEREST: HIMSELF

ENEMY: TEAM OWNER RACHEL PHELPS, NEW YORK YANKEES, OPPOSING CATCHERS, DELUSIONS OF POWER HITTING, JACK PARKMAN


MISSION: MAKE A MAJOR LEAGUE TEAM, PUT ON A HITTING DISPLAY, STEAL 100 BASES IN A SEASON, HIT LIKE MAYS, RUN LIKE HAYES


REAL-LIFE COUNTERPART: RICKEY HENDERSON


Frankly, every character in Major League deserves their own profile. "Wild Thing" Rick Vaughn, superstitious power hitter Pedro Cerrano, cagey catcher Jake Taylor, aging third baseman Roger Dorn, and even the underrated pitcher Eddie Harris ("Yo bartender, Jobu needs a refill"). The second Hayes came on the screen, he electrified the audience with his mix of athleticism and self-confidence. Hayes was a non-invitee to camp but he stole the show in the 40 when he came from 10 yards back to smoke two fellow players, while wearing his pajamas and running barefoot.

Hayes' delusions of being a power hitter were quickly squashed by the Indians coach who forced Hayes to do push ups every time he hit a pop up which happens often when you have warning track power. Hayes soon made it a goal to steal 100 bases in a season, a much more attainable goal for Willie's skill set ("I bought a hundred of these. One for every base I'm gonna steal. Excuse me while I take my first step toward the Hall of Fame.").

The five best Willie "Mays" Hayes moments were:
  1. The first game of the year when Hayes tried to steal second and wound up a good 2 feet short on the head-first slide into second.
  2. Hayes' memorable performance in the American Express commercial, "American Express, don't steal home without it."
  3. Hayes hits a pop up and does push ups at the plate before the ball even hits the ground.
  4. Hayes hits a pop up between first and second. He sprints behind the waiting fielder and screams, "I got it, I got it." Fielder backs off, ball drops, Hayes is safe at second.
  5. In Major League II, Hayes tells White Sox catcher (and former Indians catcher) Jack Parkman that when comes home, he's not going to slide. Fast forward and Hayes comes around third with a head of steam, lowers his shoulder, and when Parkman crouches he jumps over him. Game over.

-PSon

3 comments:

The Roof Monkeys said...

Parkman's on the White Sox

ProdigalSon said...

Thanks for the correction.

Unknown said...

I bought a hundred of these. One for every base I'm gonna steal. Excuse me while I take my first step toward the Hall of Fame.