Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Real-Life Roy Hobbs

I though it fitting that my first blog post has to do with my boy Hammie's wet dream inducing performance at the Home Run Derby on Monday night. Hammie ended up losing in the final to Justin Morneau of the Twins but he'll always have a special place in everyone's heart after his attempt to make sure everyone in the right and centerfield stands went home with a ball.

Hammie's story is one for the ages and I hope that he stays on the sober path and continues to be an ambassador to the sport of baseball and a champion of (seemingly) lost causes. He's on pace for 159 RBI this season (assuming he plays every one of the Rangers' remaining games), 6 shy of the number I said he would reach and 32 shy of the Major League record. It's unlikely that he keeps this up but it would be great for the sport (and my fantasy team) if he did.


During a week when sports stories are few and far between, Hefty and Ernie Els react to a video broadcast of The Chosen One, Hammie's 35 home runs on Monday night.

No comments: